Sunday, January 31, 2021

Tasting: L’Isola dei Profumi Rosso

 

L'Isola dei Profumi Rosso

-Grapes: Blend. "Indigenous" grapes from Sicily

-Country: Italy

-Region: Sicily

-Vintage: 2018

-Price: $10

-Critic Review: Notes of cranberry, pepper, thyme, slate, cherry, and blackberry. Dark cherry forward, dry without being punishing.



-Wine Folly Tasting Notes:
 The Primary Aromas are in the Vegetable/Herbal, Spice, and Earth categories (pg.31). Red wines are best paired with strong marinades, red meat, and white meat. (pg.61). This has an IGP/IGT classification, which is the majority of Italian wine classifications (pg. 253). Going off of wines that are similar to this Sicilian Rosso, there are major notes of white pepper, black cherry, plum, smoke, and herbs. Southern Italy/ the islands have a warm climate that is conducive for red grapes and produces wines with bold, fruit forward flavors with high alcohol (pg. 260).  

-My Review: I can actually see the legs with this wine. I would say this is a "Medium Purple" color. There is some spice to the smell, very peppery. Maybe some earth notes as well. You can definitely taste the Mediterranean spices in this wine. I do not know the tasting profile of many different kinds of spices but I would describe it as savory and little peppery but not overpowering. Also kind of earthy. It is bitter but not too bad. I actually drank this wine cold which I know is a mistake and I will not be doing that anymore with these kinds of reds. It is not very acidic. It is medium to full bodied. I did not find it as fruity as some of the reviews online. I do get some blackberry too, maybe even olives. I drank this without food. I think this particular wine would have greatly benefitted from being paired with red meat or red pasta sauce.


Critical Reviews:
https://www.vivino.com/IT/en/alcesti-l-isola-dei-profumi-rosso/w/6825576




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting: Alamos Red Blend

  Alamos Red Blend -Grapes: Blend -Country: Argentina -Region: Mendoza -Vintage: 2020 -Price: like $12 My Review     The color of the w...